Sigge

New in Bucharest

Hi,

Sorry for posting in English - I'll do my best to learn some Romanian as soon as possible.

I'm moving to Bucharest within some weeks and need some help to find some good rides and hopefully good company. I'm from Sweden and into All Mountain riding and freeriding.

Having been many times to Romania I've seen the beautiful nature and I'm so much looking forward to explore it by bike. However, totally new in your country I'd need some advice.

Is this the forum for teaming up for rides spontaneously?

Or are there some regular days you go for rides where I can team up?

Any good trails not to far from where I will live (close to the American School, Pipera Boulevard)?

Any advice how to find people to bike with in the closest mountains (going by car from Bucharest)?

Any special place/forum to learn more about freeriding in the mountains (push bike, lift or shuttling)?

I'd be so grateful to receive some help getting started. Just for you to understand what kind of biking I'm into I've attached some links with threads I've posted on the Swedish Mountainbike forum:

Whistler: http://happymtb.org/.../1179631/page=1

Bulgaria: http://happymtb.org/...d.php/1/1435039

Sweden and Norway: http://happymtb.org/...d.php/1/1444618

Winter in Sweden: http://happymtb.org/...d.php/1/1541185

Multumesc in advance

/Sigge

• Upvote 4

Hi, Sigge and welcome to the forum and Bucharest at the same time. I am sure you will find both Bucharest and the Carpathians very entertaining, once you get to know your way around a little ;) . Unfortunately I can't be of much help regarding the kind of mountain biking you are into, as I'm interested in cross country only, but this forum does contain a section dedicated to freeriding and downhill and I am sure you will find help from someone knowledgeable. The closest trails good for all mountain and freeride are two hours away by car, in the Prahova Valley region ( and the surroundings ) . Usually people leave Bucharest and go there during week-ends for mountain biking, skiing, climbing, hiking and so on. In winter I am not sure how much all mountain can still be done, but I do have a couple of friends crazy about downhill, I will check with them and get back to you soon.

Any questions you may still have, please don't hesitate. All the best !

Welcome to Romania!

I hope that you'll enjoy your stay here and that the guys from Bucharest will guide you trough the city and to the local trails. Right now the mountains are covered in snow and I don't know if there are trails that can be ridden properly, but if you'll stay till spring or summer I'm sure you'll have hell of rides. Our mountains will give you plenty of paths and trails to ride as I saw you in your photos.

If you're into cross country also or you like to have fun among with lots of riders, you should know that starting from spring we'll have plenty of races all over the country. The first will be at the end of next month. Arges Winter Race

And I think there are 2 or 3 downhill races throughout the year :-?

This forum right here it's a good place to start.

Here is the topic for MTB rides where the guys from Bucharest plan their routes and trails: http://www.ciclism.ro/forums/index.php/topic/4105-planificator-ture-pentru-bucurestenimtb/page__st__3000 Though...I don't know if they're all into all-mountain...

And here is the forum section for downhill and freeriding: http://www.ciclism.ro/forums/index.php/forum/17-downhill-si-freeride/

They are all in romanian...

And watch out for your bike! :D

• Upvote 1

Hi Sigge,

You'll probably find people in Bucharest up for spontaneous rides, though probably more XC than all mountain. I don't think the weather allows for much all mountain right now. But then again i could be wrong, i haven't even tried.

You'll probably be able to find some XC rides every weekend, though they may not be your particular cup of tea if you crave mountains. However, i think this largely depends on finding like-minded people (probably on this forum).

Also, MTB in Sweden looks really fun. I think i'll be heading over there in the fall, gonna take my bike with me, though I'm mostly a road cyclist and that should prove interesting, I hope the weather will allow it. :D

Have fun and make sure to not leave your bike unattended for long periods of time, even tied up. (best to keep it in your house if at all possible)

Gabriel

Thanks so far for all the tips. Great! I guess the snow will keep all of us busy with other sports for some time. Looking forward to Spring and biking!

//Sigge

You can try a trail near to where you are staying, very popular here, in Snagov. So you can get there on 200b national road which goes from where you are to Balotesti and from there you make a left and go through some villages and the on a great road through the forest and a lake. There are some hills and the road is pretty good and not that crowded.

Oh, hello there, and welcome to our little forum. You shoud check out the Six o' clock meeting ( its actually at 16:30 , for the next weeks ) . Tomorow, for example , the boys will go at Ruse ( bulgaria ) , from bucharest. I'm new here, and I met some very nice guys, and i bet all of them are the same. I hope you would like, our country > may i ask, why are you moving here? If you ask , the most part , they woud move out of Romania... ( screw my spelling, i done 40km with my bike and im half asleeeeeeep ! )

Thanks so far for all the tips. Great! I guess the snow will keep all of us busy with other sports for some time. Looking forward to Spring and biking!

//Sigge

The snow is gone, at the most parts near bucharest, including bucharest, so bike riding is perfect ! But, check our for the romanian drivers .... Not very cyclists friendly

Heh, you don't know the meaning of "cyclist unfriendly". :) At least ours are not actually trying to hit us, it's mostly being careless. On a scale from best to worst I'd say they're somewhere in the middle.