Sign in to follow this  
Marianne

Camping

In August I'm planning a bike tour in the Transilvania and Maramures area. As there are not that many campsites I'm looking other possibilities for camping. Is it safe to go for stealth camping in this area or is there a serious risk to have a bear encounter? Is there a possibility to camp in gardens or on farms?

What are your experiences?

Thanks a lot!

Good luck, is a safty place an beautiful, if you dont find a place to camp you can speek with the local people and they help you. I do the same thing in Apuseni last years.

Generally you don't need to be afraid of bears, but still, for more safety, you should make sure to keep away from your tent any of your food and everything else which could be attracting animals.

In my opinion, a much bigger danger in our mountains are the shepherd dogs. They often walk in troops of 4-5, some of them are friendly, but also can be very aggressive. If they are unattended, that's a problem. I recommend you to get some pepper spray or some special dog repelling tool.

You can talk to local people and you can camp in their yards and there will be no problem with bears, dog.....

Thanks for your answers. Good to read it's oke to ask people to camp in their yard. But I don't speak Romanian so if you can help me to translate the following sentences:

- I'm looking for a place to camp, can you help me?

- May we camp in your garden?

- Thanks for your help!

Thanks!

Some years ago I took a trekking tour in Maramures. I spent only 3 days there, not very much, but I spent my nights in the tent and on a local house. I put my tent in a forest near a monastery and I remember that it was very quiet there that I got bored because of that. On the next day I moved over and I asked a peasent if he can comfort me for one night. He said yes, he gave me food and a bed to sleep. I was poor those days and I only said "Thank you! Goodbye!" when I left, but if I had the chance to sleep again at his place I will pay him some money. I think 4 or 5 euros would be enough. After I left his place I meet one of his neighbours and he told me that I should have paid him because this is the way things are going and not as wee see in the movies :D

In few words, I don't think you'll have troubles there. On the country side you'll find a lot of green places and forest where you can put your tent. It should be useful to have a pack of cigarretes in your pochet because it can help you make friends ;) A can of beer should also be useful, but alcohol should be the last trick. Maramures is very beautiful and I hope that you will enjoy it very much.

Maybe you already know that when in Maramures you shouldn't miss the "Happy Cemetary" from Sapanta and the Museum of Comunism's Victims from Sighetu Marmatiei. Also, in this little town you'll find another museum which is a lot funnier to visit, The Village Museum.

1) I'm looking for a place to camp, can you help me?

2) May we camp in your garden?

3) Thanks for your help!

In romanian, "cort" is the word for tent. If you say "cort" and make gestures to show that you want to put the "cort" on the ground, maybe it should be enough to make yourselves understood :) Also, "pădure / padure" is the word for forest, "grădină / gradina" means garden, "mâncare / mancare" means food and "Olanda" means Holland. If you plan to spend more than one week in Romania, you should have a little language guide in your pocket. This should be useful when trying to comunicate with older people because I think that the youngsters should know a little bit of english.

As for those phrases:

1) Caut un loc de pus cortul, poti sa ma ajuti?

2) Putem sa punem cortul in gradina dumneavoastra / ta? ("Dumneavoastra" is more polite than "ta", though is harder to tell)

3) Multumesc pentru ajutor.

In romanian we have few letters which I don't think that are found in dutch so that's why I translated those sentences without them. But it should be enough for someone to understand what you're saying even if you say "gradina" instead of "grădină".

Enjoy your stay and have a nice ride! :)

• Upvote 1

There is one more method to manage this problem.

I can give you my phone, and when you have to talk more than a few words with some romanian people, you can call me, tell me what you want, and then I'll explain him what you need.

But this is a harder way and it's recomanded when you need to talk more than a few words.

A easier way is to try to talk with younger people, most of them know a little bit english.

A third way is to make a list with some frases that you think you'll use, and i'll translate them and you just have to show the frase that you want to transmite to romanian people. You can write down a few frases and use them when you need them.

SRSLY? What about the good old international body language? I don't think learning some phrases in a completely unfamiliar language is a good attempt, wherever you go around the world. What if they answer you in romanian? You can't prepare for every situation. Learning some basic worlds like greetings, thank you, goodbye etc.. will be fairly enough in my opinion.

• Upvote 1