Sign in to follow this  
Toxxi

Few questions about biking in Romania

Hallo folks,

I am new to the Forum. I come from Germany. Last year I made a bicylce trip though Ukraine and crossed Romania for two days (from Sighetu Marmateij to Satu Mare).

This year I want to see more of the country. I plan to start in Belgrad, follow the Danube to Dobreta-Turnu Serverin, cross the South Carpathians roughly along Lacul Valea lui Iovan - Campu lui Neag - Petrosani - Lacul Vidra - Brezoi - Salatrucu - Transfagarasan. Then through Transylvania to Satu Mare and further to Slovakia (either through Hungary or Ukraine).

I have a couple of questions, I hope you can help me:

(1) What is the quality of the road crossing the Cerna Jiu pass? http://maps.google.de/maps?q=45.23108,22.840269&hl=de&ll=45.226063,22.81414&spn=0.169022,0.278435&num=1&t=p&z=12 Is is possible to go the by bicycle or is it just a footpath? I will have Marathon Dureme tyres 50-559, offraod would be okay, but no singeltrails.

(2) I will arriva at the Transfagarasan around 15th July. Will it already be opened?

(3) I plan to cross near the cities of Aiud and Turda. I want to see something of the Apuseni. The only road leading into the mountains is the Dn75. Is there heavy traffic on that road?

(4) Is it possible to cross the river Somes at this point: http://maps.google.de/maps?q=47.712389,23.305256&hl=de&ll=47.722235,23.309212&spn=0.161442,0.278435&num=1&t=m&z=12 I found information about a ferry, but I do not know, if it is still in service or not.

(5) The border to Ukraine at Halmeu. Is it possible to cross it by bicycle? I know that the Ukrainians do not allow crossing the border on foot or by bike at several places (e.g. in Uzhhorod (to Slovakia) or to Kroscienko (to Poland)). Is there any information about it?

Thank you for your help in advance!

Thoralf

PS: I must appologize for not writing all the Romanian letters correctly. This ist difficult with my keyboard.

HI Thoralf and welcome to our forum!

I will answer at issues that I am aware of and ask other colleagues to complete, if possible :

1. The Cerna Pass can be crossed by bike entirely. It's asphalt from Herculane to Cerna village, then a gravel road along the lake "Valea lui Iovan", then at some point near Campul lui Neag it turns into fine quality asphalt again.

2. Normally Transfagarasan road should be open to traffic at that date, but the northern part is said to undergo capital restauration at some point next year. We will try to keep you up to date, just return here periodically for more news.

3. I expect DN75 will not be that crowded (I read some stories of friends crossing Apuseni mountains and don't remember anyone to have said it's crowded) 

4. I don't know about that, I would recommend you cross the river 11 km to South-East on County Road DJ 193 (route Pomi - Borlesti - Ardusat - Coltirea).

Keep in touch!

DN66A (Cerna Jiu) is passable by normal car (not 4x4). You will be OK with any bike. It is wide and paved with gravel. On the descent, after a few kilometers, you will find brand new asphalt.

2. Yes

3. Take DN 107 M from the center of Aiud. It is new and it has very little traffic. Plan to sleep in Rimetea or Colţeşti. There are very nice guesthouses. When you get to DN75 (Valea Arieşului) go right towards Turda.

4 and 5 i don't know.

A note on crossing the Apuseni mountains:

You can go from Aiud un the 107M, then left on DN75, then in Albac you can go right on the 1R and cross that way. The road is gravel for the first half (to Poiana Horea) then it's good asphalt to Huedin (E60)

then in Albac you can go right on the 1R and cross that way. The road is gravel for the first half (to Poiana Horea) then it's good asphalt to Huedin (E60)

I can confirm that, I went there last year.

If you want to stay one more day in Apuseni I would suggest from Albac to go right until you reach Garda de Sus. There you can visit Apuseni National Park, you can reach many nice objectives by bike; there is a nice uphill gravel road that goes near Scarisoara Cave. Ionele Cave is also near the road.

After this  you can go back to Albac and make right to Poiana Horea.

Hello and welcome to our little gathering place (i.e. forum)!  

Last year, I took a tour in the Apuseni mountains together with my wife and a couple of good old friends. In this trip, we also passed through Albac. The area itself is amazing and there are pretty good places to sleep at. We stayed at a small pension ("Perla Ariesului" I think it was called...just close to the end of the Albac town, towards the Scarisoara cave) and we were glad to be able to leave our panniers at the reception and go visit the Scarisoara & Ionele cave without additional weight :). Also, we enjoyed delicious local dairy products (cheese, butter, fresh milk) and some local/traditional drinks, on the house :).

You will have to do some climbing from Garda de Sus to the cave itself, but the road is great for cycling. A road construction unit was working on adding some asphalt to some portions, so it should be all right by now (we followed a more secluded road, initially;you have the option to go by Ionele's Cave and then, straight on & up towards Scarisoara).

The 1R National Road ("DN 1R") is, indeed, ideal for cycling. It's free of traffic (well, there are some small cars now and then, but there's plenty of space and the scenery is wonderful).

Here are some pictures, to better illustrate the conditions on DN1R between the Belis dam & Albac:

DSC_0567.jpg

DSC_0577.jpg

DSC_0579.jpg

This is near Poiana Horii:

DSC_0601.jpg

DSC_0603.jpg

DSC_0623.jpg

There's indeed a section where the asphalt is missing, but it's more than ok even after an intense summer rain:

DSC_0642.jpg

DSC_0649.jpg

Then, asphalt again until you reach Albac:

DSC_0664.jpg

Then, from Albac towards the Scarisoara cave, via DN75:

DSC_0714.jpg

DSC_0721.jpg

And, the Scarisoara cave (the entrance fee was somewhere around 10 RON -> ~2.30 Euro and the bicycle can be left at the caretaker's hut, right next to the cave's access point, in complete safety):

DSC_0767.jpg

DSC_0775.jpg

DSC_0785.jpg

DSC_0793.jpg

The road we followed to the cave, from Garda de Sus:

DSC_0740.jpg

DN75 is also a good choice. We didn't encounter any issues.

I hope this was helpful and that it didn't turn into a "picture spam" post  :). 

• Upvote 5

4. I don't know about that, I would recommend you cross the river 11 km to South-East on County Road DJ 193 (route Pomi - Borlesti - Ardusat - Coltirea).

Yeah, I know that bridge. I crossed it last year. This year I want come from Apuseni (or Cluj) and cross to Ukraine at Halmeu (if it is possible, which I am not sure of). From Jibou there are only two possiblities: either via Satu Mare (I have been there already last year), or via Baia Mare, which will lead me on the Dn18. I have heard from friends that this road is overcrowded with heavy duty traffic. So I was looking for a third possibility.

@radu_vadan:  The Dn107M is already planned! :) I will go there definitely. And I hope to get a glass of local wine. This area is Hungarian-speaking?

@Drysna: Gârda de Sus would also be a nice place for hiking, not only for the caves. Maybe I can climb (or go there by bike?) up to the Curcubate Mare.

@diorgulescu: Very nice pictures, thank you very much! This is really a nice countryside there. All the roads look good to me. I have only 3 weeks time, maybe I can ask my boss to take 4 weeks off. When I stay longer in the Apuseni, then I will skip the trip through Ukraine. From Satu Mare to the city of Kosice in Slovakia it is roughly 190 km - and there goes my train home.

For your interest I will attach a picture of my bicycle.

Greetings

Thoralf

post-15214-0-37670400-1366271586_thumb.jpg

Yes, the villages of Rimetea and Colţeşti ar hungarian speaking.

If you have good legs you can ride your bike up to the top of the Cucurbăta Mare (there is a gravel road).

From Jibou there are only two possiblities: either via Satu Mare (I have been there already last year), or via Baia Mare, which will lead me on the Dn18. I have heard from friends that this road is overcrowded with heavy duty traffic. So I was looking for a third possibility.

From Jibou you can go to Baia Mare on 108A road with little traffic.I don't know about the road quality, but it should be ok for your bike. 

If you are near Jibou, you cand visit the "Dragon's Garden" which is in in Gâlgăul Almașului village, about 10km from Jibou

Thank you, Grădina Zmeilor will be definitely worth to look. I planned to go this street anyway, but I did not know about the sights on the way.

From Jibou you can go to Baia Mare on 108A road with little traffic.I don't know about the road quality, but it should be ok for your bike. 

Yes, this is clear. But how can I come from Baia Mare to Calinesti-Oas and further to Halmeu? There will be only the Dn1c. I have heard about heavy traffic on this road.

Anyway, I have now the definite information from Ukrainian Border Guard that it is NOT possible the cross the border at Halmeu by bicycle. I need to find a car that will pick me up. Stupid Ukrainian rules... Probably it will be easier to go via Satu Mare, cross the boarder to Hungary at Petea and then cross into Ukraine at Tiszabecs. Then I can go further to Muncaci (UA).

By the way, is anyone interested in the whole route I planned? Then I can upload the track at gpsies.com and will give you the link.

Thoralf

I'm replying a bit late, but I would be very interested in the gps track of the route you planned. I think you'll be there a bit earlier than me - I'll be passing through Romania in early August.