Sign in to follow this  
szy

Bicycle in train from Suceava to Dej

Bună ziua, sunt din Polonia, mă numesc Szymon ;)

Guys, we are going to visit your country during short trip, from Maramures to Bucovina. Afterwards we think about taking a train from Suceava to Dej (or Salva).

I have read bicycle rules on cfrcalatori.ro and... I'm not sure, if I understand it correctly. There is written, that I may take a bicycle into Interregio train only, if there is a bicycle icon in timetable. But all IR trains there haven't such icon. So:

is it impossible to carry bicycles on Suceava-Cluj Napoca relation?

You can find our route and other our bicycle journeys in our travel blog:

Cycling Romania: Maramures and Bucovina

Mulţumesc! :)

All best from Poland,

Szy.

You can take a bicycle on every train but it have to be disassembled and paked.

How large is your group? Do you carry luggages?

I'm afraid there are no trains with bike storage space on this route. So you would need to disassemble. Or try to find a Suceava÷Ilva Mică regio train.

That's us in Dolomites:

na-alpe-di-siusi-alpy-2012-szymon-nitka-

When disassembling do I need more than taking off front wheel? ;]

Packing... I need to take my bags with us, really?

Thanks!

Or try to find a Suceava÷Ilva Mică regio train.

Thanks, I will take a look at this option.

Szy.

Look for a local train from Suceava to Ilva Mica or Dornisoara, then mount the bikes and descend to Dej. Actually if you have the time get off the train around Vatra Dornei, get on the bikes to Pasul Tihuta and then down to Bistrita, the road is very nice. The trip is decent, my cousin that lives there is doing it from time to time on the hard way (Cluj to Vatra Dornei, uphill). I also went to Tihuta several times, the area is so nice it's worth doing it.

I live very close to Suceava, I would like to meet you. When do you plan to arive here?

Hello,

as far as i know you can take you bicycle in any regio train, the price is 5 lei for one bike

From Suceava to Ilva Mica  there are two trains R5701  and R5703

You should buy the ticket for the bicycle from the rail station not from the controller  train conductor.

Edited by Traveller
Nu mai traduce mot-a-mot, termenul romanesc controlor se traduce "train conductor"; controller are alte semnificatii. :)

Due to recent regulations (not very bike friendly) the cashier will not sell bike tickets if the train does not have special bike space. And the 2 regio trains don't have that.

So our Polish friend will have to be prepared for paying directly to the conductor, even if this not the way things should be.

Which means that

"2. La trenurile Regio se pot transporta biciclete nedemontabile, la clasa a 2-a,  pentru care se va achita la casele de bilete un tarif de 5 lei .",

(on Regio trains is allowed complete bikes, on 2-nd class, for which will be payed 5 RON)

published on:

http://www.cfrcalatori.ro/content/Transportul-bicicletelor-si-schiurilor-216

is not true?

Please, light us up.

@@Traveller: Marturisesc, sunt nedumerit

It's true but incomplete (and old), as this has been recently amended by Romanian Railways CFR. There is a recent decision (not public, I think) that says tickets can't be dispensed in the railway station if there are no special train-cars with bike-storage.

Maybe @@Dr2005 could explain better than me, as he is an "insider". :)

Unbelievable, dear country, Romania.

Thank you all a lot :). This would be the plan:

- 5:39 Suceava - Ilva Mica,

- cycling 20+ km Ilva Mica - Salva,

- 18:26 Salva - Sighet (working days only).

But! When searching for Suceava - Ilva Mica in DB Bahn timetable, it says that train R 5701 (5:39 from Suceava) runs to Ilva Mica, which is ok. But when searching on CFR website for the same, it says, that R 5701 has its last stop in Vatra Dornei. What is correct?

Two more questions:

- in Poland, when there is no bike compartment, we usually go with bicycles to the train's last door. Should I do the same with your Regio train?

- if I try to take a bicycle by InterRegio train, what's the chance that conductor will 'close his eye' on our bikes for 'negotiation fee'? ;]

And, don't worry :), we have exactly the same regulation about selling bike tickets, when there are no bike places in a train. It must be European stuff... ;)

@@LucianTheOne, about 15-20th of July. I'll try to let you know more later :]

Thanks!

Szy.

The way i see it, R5701 runs to Ilva Mică.

I will try to see what kind of train-cars this train has, but normally if you go to the end of the train it's allright and you will be able to settle with the conductor, no matter if the train is R or IR.

5701 runs to Ilva Mica.

Only two days in june, 23 and 24, it was limited to a shorter route.

Update, new info (the order is from 27 june): 

from 07 july - 17 august R5701 is limited to Vatra Dornei

I apologize for the previous outdated info. 

So it means you would need to take R5711 from vatra dornei to ilva mică, leaving at 16.06. Otherwise take directly IR1833 from Suceava to Dej.

But! When searching for Suceava - Ilva Mica in DB Bahn timetable, it says that train R 5701 (5:39 from Suceava) runs to Ilva Mica, which is ok. But when searching on CFR website for the same, it says, that R 5701 has its last stop in Vatra Dornei. What is correct?

Use www.infofer.ro and provide the exact date for the trip, to see the correct timetable. However, keep in mind that the timetable might change... so verifiy it again with 2 - 3 days before the trip.

On www.infofer.ro uncheck the ,,Doar staţiile principale" (Only main stations) option, otherwise you won't be able to search route to/from small stations.

You can buy bike tickets for CFR Călători trains:

- 5 LEI/bike for any Regio train; a maximum of 10 bike tickets can be sold for each car/DMU/EMU. Your train has only 1 car, so a maximum of 10 bikers can get in at the same time. If there is not enough room at one end of the car (and it won't  be), if the train in empty, you can put your bikes into one or 2 compartments... put your wheel between the seats and you can easily put 4 - 5 bikes in each compartment.

- 10 LEI/bike for InterRegio trains, but only at trains with a bike pictogram on the timetable. The number of allowed bikes is equal to the number of seats in the compartment near the bike storage area. This means 2, 5 or 6 bikes, because our cars have 2 (class 84-33), 5 (84-96) or 6 (84-76) seats near the bike zone. Some trains have 2 bike cars. If an IR train has no bike car in the ticket selling system, you CAN'T buy a bike ticket, even if you see the train and it has bike car or enough room to put you bike (i.e. Desiro DMU, double-deck cars and other cars with big empty spaces inside). This decision was taken by CFR Călători after 46 bikers bought tickets to the same train (and it was enough room for all... I really don't get it why they were angry... the Commercial Director of CFR Călători called me at my work place to announce me!)

Of course, there is always the possibility to negociate with the conductor (or just simply put the bike in the train with no bike ticket). But negociation is not indicated if you do not know Romanian... the conductor might speculate the fact that you're not from Romania and probably have a bigger paycheck than he.

Sometime it works (I transported my bike free of charge for a few times... the conductor didn't know/didn't care that bike tickets can be procured), sometimes not (the fine is 30 LEI, the bike is considered "large piece of luggage of 15 kg" and charged 2 LEI/kg).

Also,  bikes that can be folded or dismantled can be carried for free... you can try remove the front wheel or other parts (i.e. saddle and saddle bar, rear wheel) that use "quick release" and are easy to dettach and re-attach... so this can entitle you not to pay the bike ticket or fine.

Even if there is no case on the Suceava - Ilva Mică line, on some other routes you can used private-owned trains. They allow bikes in all of their trains!

Regiotrans: www.regiotrans.ro , bike ticket 3 LEI for <100 km, 5 LEI for >100 km, plenty of room for bikes at all trains (!)

Transferoviar Călători: www.transferoviarcalatori.ro (Their trains are also listed on www.infofer.ro, together with CFR Călători), bike ticket 4,5 LEI any distance, plenty of room for bikes at DH2 DMUs (you can put 20 bikes without problems) and smaler (but enough) room at VT614 and VT624

InterRegional: http://www.viaterraspedition.ro/mersultrenurilor.html , bike ticket about 4 LEI (it depends on the distance), room for bikes at all trains

Also, all these trains operate at Regio price, even if some have InterRegio timetable (few stops), except Regiotrans' Bucureşti - Constanţa train, wich runs as IR (but the bike ticket is still 3 LEI for under 100km and 5 LEI for over 100 km).

@@Dr2005 Moneda nationala a României este LEUL. Denumirea de RON s-a folosit doar in perioada in care leii noi au circulat in paralel cu leii vechi, pentru a se evita confuziile.

Noi stim cum sta treaba, dar un strain ar fi foarte confuz daca cineva iar spune un pret in RONI iar banii pe care ii are in buzunar poarta denumirea de LEI :))

Am editat textul tau.

Şi o să vadă străinul că pe unele bancnote scrie ,,leu", pe altele ,,lei", iar pe fise scrie ,,bani".

Dacă mă duc în Bulgaria, de exemplu, când schimb bani, nu scrie pe bon că am primit 1 lev (adică singularul de la leva) şi 25 de stotinki, ci 1,25 BGN.

USD - United States Dollar

GBP - Great Britain Pound

RON - ???

Daca se cheama LEU, de ce l-au abreviat RON? 

Din cauza denominatiei...

RON= Romanian New (currency).

Inainte era ROL, mai clar.

Se descurcă omul. Să lăsăm dezbaterile de tip BNR, că sîntem offtopic :)

Suntem, da

LE: editat