TomC

Bicycles on IR1586 Constanta-Brasov

Hello,

We have tickets on the IR1586, leaving Constanta Saturday at 05:20 . We want to take our bicycles but the ticket lady says it is not possible.

We have read that it is possible, by simply taking the bikes on the train and paying the conductor a ‘baggage fee’.

Does anyone have any advice on this- is it best to find the conductor/guard before boarding the train, or just get on the train and hope for the best?

@TomC

The train IR 1586 is not fitted with special cars for bicycle transport. Unfortunately, most of the romanian trains [state rail] are like this. So, the ticket lady was right.

Yes, you can pay for the bicycles to the train conductor. Here, you have two choices:

1. a kind of bribe for the conductor, so he will turn a blind eye regarding the bicycles. This must be accepted by the conductor. If yes, the price will be 10 Lei for each bike [it is the official price if the train was fitted with special cars for bicycle transport].

2. you will pay the baggage fee. The bike is considered 15 kg and from Constanta to Brasov it will be 2,50 Lei per kg. Bellow, you will find the prices in conection with the distance:

image.png.688c103320f11f8d6a36d94d01c66392.png

Here you have the English version [transport of luggages]: https://www.cfrcalatori.ro/en/frequent-questions/

The receipt from the conductor will look like this:

image.png.86eea4b33ae36c3460cf31da551f1962.png

Regardind your last question, you must talk with the conductor before boarding the train. Otherwise, it is not the best idea that the conductor will find you with the bikes inside the train.

L.E.

It is a good idea to board the train [with bikes] on the last door of the last car. In this way, the bikes will not be an obstacle for the passangers who want to pass between the cars.

Other thing: align the handlebar with the bike frame, so the bike will take less space. Like in the picture bellow:

image.png.849d38d6ac07d7ece5d4b25af637ea5d.png

Please, feel free to ask if you have other questions.

• Upvote 2

Great, thanks so much for the detailed reply, we’ll update with how it goes :)

We had success :) We asked the conductor and she said ‘no bikes’ we said ‘please’, pointed to the back and got our wallet out, and she said ok and indicated she would come to charge us later. It cost 37.50 per bike.

The only trouble we had was at Bucurest when another carriage attached to the back, so we were no longer at the back! This caused stress as we kept on having to move bikes to let people through; but the conductors didn’t mind.

Thanks @gibonu !

@TomC

Glad to help.

The conductor charged you with the right (official) price.

It was a good ideea in Bucharest to move the bikes to the last door of the last car. Now, you'll know for other train trips in Romania.

Please, feel free to ask if you have other questions.

P.S. Where are you from?

Yes, we’ll know for next time! Next we have the luxury of a bike compartment on the train from Brasov>Budapest though :) 

I’m from the UK and my partner is from New Zealand. We’re headed to Paris for now (Budapest>Munich train and then Munich>Paris flixbus!)

Thanks again!

în urmă cu 4 ore, TomC said:

a bike compartment on the train from Brasov>Budapest though

This is interesting. Because I'e never seen a car with bike places on this train. And i used it several times for Sibiu-Budapesta. 

Maybe they change it since my last trip, 1 year ago.

Best of luck, Tom!

@TomC

Have a nice trip. 

@EyesOnly

I think that @TomC is talking about IR 366 Brasov - Miercurea Ciuc - Reghin - Cluj - Oradea - Budapest. This train has bike places.

It has the bike places also in 2015 (I took this train from Gherla to Miercurea Ciuc). 

• Like 1

în urmă cu 43 minute, gibonu said:

@EyesOnly

.... talking about IR 366 Brasov - Miercurea Ciuc - Reghin - Cluj - Oradea - Budapest. This train has bike places.

It has the bike places also in 2015 (I took this train from Gherla to Miercurea Ciuc). 

Thank you! I had no idea about this train.