haladinho

Route planning: Bucharest - Sibiu - Satu Mare

Hi guys and girls

Would you please help me to plan a route from Bucharest via Sibiu to Satu Mare. I will ride a road bike, would like to avoid heavy traffic, have good surface. I will have a tent with me so accomodation would not be a problem. Of course I would like to ride Transfagarasan Route.

I am very appreciative to anyone willing to draw a route in any web route planer, eg. ridewithgps.com. My plan is to have this cruise June/July 2021

THX

Paweł

• Upvote 2

Welcome, Pawel !

Riding on roads with less trafic from Bucharest to Satu Mare and passing the Trans (this is how the cyclists call it around here) will prove quite a challenge.

But it can be done. Please see below a possible solution, mainly on secondary (county) roads:

https://ridewithgps.com/routes/34851638

To my knowledge (and according to Google Stretview), the vast majority of these roads should be paved.

Try to avoid the Trans on a weekend, it will be extremely crowded. 

Keep in touch!

• Upvote 1

Hey Pawel, 

Give me a sign when the plans are closer to be realized. Maybe I can join you in the area around Sibiu, or even on Trans, 

Also, if it will be possible, I can offer some hosting in Sibiu, depending on my schedule during that time. 

Good luck!

thx EyesOnly

Can anyone give me a tip how can I check railway conection. I am considering to go to Satu Mare by car, then take a train to Bucharest, I need to check how much time and money would I need. I have no idea how to find any information about traveling with a bike using romanian railways.

thx in advance for any tips.

On 16.12.2020 at 21:17, haladinho said:

I will have a tent with me so accomodation would not be a problem. Of course I would like to ride Transfagarasan Route.

This year on Transfagarasan (southern face) was a big problem with the bears. I mean wild bears, not circus bears. So, wild camping i'm affraid is not an option.

This picture was taken by a friend of mine, in June 2020 (he was by car).

image.png.adbc0ffc20b91c4747ec9280f979055d.png

I don't know how the bear situation will be in 2021.

On 19.12.2020 at 22:25, haladinho said:

Can anyone give me a tip how can I check railway conection. I am considering to go to Satu Mare by car, then take a train to Bucharest

First of all, consider to leave the car in Baia Mare (aprox. 60 km east of Satu Mare) and board the train from there. There is no direct train from Satu Mare to Bucharest.

Second, traveling with the bike in romanian state railways (only them cover long distances such as Baia Mare - Bucuresti) is quitte challenging for us, the natives, because most of the state trains have no bicycle space.

So, from Baia Mare you can board the night train IRN 1642 to Bucharest. Is the only direct train with sleeping cars. It leaves Baia Mare at 17:50 and arrives in Bucharest at 06:29 the next day. I know, almost 13 hours is a little bit embarasing for an EU country, but this is the reality.

You can put the bike (with the wheels removed) inside the speeping cabin (2 beds or single). In theory, this is not allowed. In practice, with a little bribe to the carrige attendant, it will be all right.

This in the site of the romanian state railways:  https://www.cfrcalatori.ro/en/

From here, you can buy your ticket online.

For the prices:  https://www.cfrcalatori.ro/en/full-price-of-the-ticket-travel-card/

And for sleeping car:  https://www.cfrcalatori.ro/en/supplements-sleeping-car-berth-car/

Maybe this will help: https://www.cfrcalatori.ro/en/discounts-when-buying-in-advance/

To stay 13 hours in a normal train (no sleeping car) to look for the bicycle is not an option.

If you have other questions, please fell free to ask.

28 minutes ago, gibonu said:

consider to leave the car in Baia Mare

If you do that you can park it in front of the building where I live. Free spots which are not reserved for tenants and you can have peace of mind that I'll watch it. :)

• Upvote 2

Can you suggest 700-1000km loop starting in Satu Mare / Baia Mare? I expect it would be easear to organise for me. I am sure you know many interesting places that are worth visiting. I will be riding a road bike therefore I need to ride good surface roads, as well would like to avoid heavy traffic.

I think it's wiser to have a tour that starts and finishes in the same place.

I hope I've included most of the nice places you can pass through, while riding a road bike:

https://ridewithgps.com/routes/34884274

Of course you should not miss climbing and then descending the northern Trans, it's included.

• Upvote 1

în urmă cu 17 ore, Traveller said:

I think it's wiser to have a tour that starts and finishes in the same place.

I hope I've included most of the nice places you can pass through, while riding a road bike:

https://ridewithgps.com/routes/34884274

Of course you should not miss climbing and then descending the northern Trans, it's included.

Wow, you included lots of cool roads.

I only recommend a small addition to the above, visit Alba Iulia. The current route goes very close to this city.

There is a nice camping place in the middle of the city: https://goo.gl/maps/MNjyPKWMxjsQTpc37

• Upvote 1

3 hours ago, Drysna said:

I only recommend a small addition to the above, visit Alba Iulia.

Updated (and I also did a few corrections here and there). :)

I hope @haladinho likes climbing, because he's going to have plenty ups and downs.

climbs and downs would not be a problem (I hope). The problem would be a distance. I would have no more than 7 days to close the loop therefore I am considering to have the shortest way back from Sibiu to Baja-Mare in order to shorten given proposal. Please indicate it (Sibiu - Baja Mare) having good surface and lack of car traffic. THX. 1000km is maximum.

Your current proposal is almost perfect.

BTW. Is it possible to find economy class accomodation via Booking.com? My Romanian does not exist so I would need to have a possibility to book a room without using spoken language.

BTW2. In case I  would buy a prepaid GSM card do I have to register it (such a custom exists in Poland - all SIMs must be registered) or I simply put it in my celurphone and use with no other formalities.

I thought you might have some time/distance constrains.

I'll optimise the track. :)

I don't think a registration is needed for an internet prepaid card. But then i never used this, so I'm not sure.

Booking.com works as you asked, but many people managing accommodations speak English.

Here it is: https://ridewithgps.com/routes/34884274

Given that you only have 7 days to take this tour, this one should be more realistic.

Even if you are capable of riding on roads 120 km/day, you should be able to take time to enjoy what you see, otherwise what's the point in touring on bike? :)

If I were you I would book 9 days for this tour (2 weekends and the week between them).

But this is your time. 

If you feel even 950km / 10k hm is a stretch, we can further taper it down.

Even abridged like this, it has many sightseeings, so you should definitely enjoy them, not run between them.

Thanks for your effort. I think that combining both your proposals I will get a proper result which would be more moutains at the begining (Eastern curve), lack of Trans and Sibiu - most probably i will go from Shigisoara to Teius via Medias.

TransF + TransA will be a goal to the future.

My cycling style is rather to bite asphalt and grinding next km's. I prefer to overpass next mountain pass than see artworks of human culture. I hope I will manage to ride the whole loop without any painfull injury ;)

THX

No problem, take the trip the way it best suits you.

And, while you are preparing, please keep writing here to let us know of your plans and any other updates.